Tuesday, September 23, 2008

We're back in Arizona...and barely surviving!

I don't know if anyone will keep reading this now that our exciting trip is over, but I thought I would let everyone know I made it home safe. We left Beijing at 9:00pm Friday night and sat crammed in a plane, with NO empty seats, for 12 full hours. Luckily, I was able to sleep some, but the worst part was having to smell the chinese food they served on the plane. I will NOT be eating chinese food for a very long time.

We landed in LAX at 6:00 pm, Friday night. After a major hassle with getting Patricia's wheelchair off the plane and having a heated discussion with a Mexican Paralympian (in Spanish) who wouldn't get out of Patricia's wheelchair, we finally got through immigration and customs and were saved by Jennie in her silver minivan. I will never complain again about LA traffic...the streets were so calm after what we'd just experienced in Beijing!

Because we had just slept 8-9 hours on the flight, we decided to go ahead and drive home...at least that way when we finally did get tired, we would get to sleep in our own bed! I got home around 1:45 am and after giving Eric a kiss, I ran in and got my, not so little anymore, boy out of bed. I gave him a big hug and just held him. I don't think he totally understood I was home and after a minute, he pointed to his crib. I slowly gave him up and let him go back to sleep. It was soooo good to be home.

Since then, all I've been trying to do is adjust back to Arizona time. It is KILLING me. I stayed awake all of Saturday, crashed that night and then didn't get out of bed all day Sunday. I tried sleeping Sunday night...did okay from 12-4, but could not go back to sleep after 4 am. I taught preschool yesterday and managed to stay awake until 8:30 pm...but again was up again at 4am this morning. Not even Tylenol PM is helping. Eric is even worse off than I am. I think he came home with a little bit of a cold, which is making him achy and even more tired. But he too can't sleep through the night...he's usually up by 3:30. Hopefully we'll adjust soon...it's definitely not fun!

Everyone asks me, "Was it wonderful?" It was WONDERFUL and AMAZING. I am so glad I went, but I am also SOO glad to be home. Being gone for two weeks was just long enough to do what we wanted, but then just long enough to appreciate being home!

2 comments:

Tiff Rudd said...

So glad you made it home safely! Good luck adjusting! I hope it gets better soon! Love ya!

Jen said...

I truly hope you keep blogging--I love keeping up with you, seeing you in pics, learning about your family, etc.
And it will be fun to keep up with you on your new little one too!