Saturday, September 6, 2008

Opening Ceremonies

I got a call from Eric this morning at 6:00 just as he had finished walking into the Bird's Nest for Opening Ceremonies.  I immediately went to universalsports.com to see if they were broadcasting it.  They were!  I was able to watch the remainder of the ceremonies live, which I have to say were AMAZING.  It was a perfect way to start my travel day to China.  Eric and I were expecting them to be same as the Olympic opening ceremonies, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were completely different.  I loved that they had many people who had disabilities as well participating.  It was very well done and I would encourage you to watch it online at universalsports.com.  I was hoping to be able to see Eric as all the athletes walked in, but he didn't make the camera. :(  I loved the torch lighting.  As the torch got passed to the final person, it was a guy in a wheelchair and you could tell you he was on a pulley.  He pulled himself up, all the way to the top of the Bird's Nest where the torch was.  I couldn't believe how far he pulled himself up.  About a 1/4 of the way up, he paused for a minute, and the whole stadium erupted in cheers to encourage him along.  It was so touching, seeing everyone rally around him.  It really gave me a sense of what these games are all about, and made me soo excited to leave.

I will be honest and say I had a hard time leaving Logan.  I knew I would, but he did GREAT.  All morning long, while I was packing, he would pull my suitcase around and say "Bye, Mommy".    It definitely helped me to know he was happy, and will be happy while I'm gone.  Thanks to all of you who are helping and have offered to help while I'm gone for two weeks!

On our trip down to LA to catch our flight, Eric called me.  He had just woken up.  He said he LOVED opening ceremonies, and that it was quite an experience.  He was sitting up in the stadium seating so he had a good view of everything, except the lighting of the torch.  It was up behind him, but he said the guy who lit the torch on the pulley was only about 5 feet from him!

We are both excited to be in China together.  We are hoping to be able to get together that first day we are there and before he begins his competition with the ranking round the next day to see the Olympic Village.  I know it's going to be an incredible experience and a once in a lifetime opportunity!

1 comment:

Carca said...

We will look it up on the internet....sounds cool!!!!!!!!!!