I got to ride a Red Double Decker bus in London! And of course I sat on top. :) While waiting for my bus at the station, a gentleman approached me and asked if I was here for the Paralympics. I explained that yes, I was and that my husband was here competing in archery. He asked me what time he competed and when I said 11, he replied: "Oh bummer. I was going to invite you to visit my church that's right here. But the services are at 10 and 12 noon". I thanked him for the invite and then he asked me what church I belonged to. It wasn't too long before I felt like I was back on my mission sharing facts and truths about our church. He was Pentecostal and we definitely did not believe in the same things, but it was interesting to share what I believed with him and in the end he said, "We'll just have to agree to disagree". We shook hands and went our separate ways but it reminded me that you never know when you might have an opportunity to share what you believe.
I enjoyed my ride on the double decker bus as it took me to a whole new part of London I hadn't been to. We traveled down around the wharfs off the River Thames and through neighborhoods I could tell were built centuries ago. It was really neat.
I made it safe and sound to the archery field and as I was in the bathroom changing into my Team Eric shirt (don't want it to get too stinky...but I've got to wear it!) Eric texted and said they are ahead of schedule. It made me so glad I always plan to arrive an hour ahead of time. It wasn't too much later that Eric walked onto the archery field.
He started out exactly the same as yesterday, getting ahead 4-0 on Polat from Turkey. Then they tied an end, making it 5-1. Then Polat took an end from Eric, making it 5-3. If Eric didn't win the next end, they would go back to a one arrow shoot off and I would have killed him! Fortunately for Eric (and really just me!) he took the next end. He had the last arrow to shoot and he needed a 6 or better to win. What's best is that Eric just drilled it in and hit a 10! I was so proud of him. Here's a video of him shooting the last arrow for the victory.
There are a lot of really cool pictures of Eric that people have post on his FB Fan page, so I'll just add this one.
I've taken a picture every day as he's advanced. I can't wait to see his name in the gold medal match bracket!
After his match, we got lunch together. (No fish and chips today!) Again, I am amazed at how many people just gravitate to Eric. He spent most of his lunch trading pins, signing autographs, getting his picture taken with people and sharing his story. And what I love most about it, is how gracious and generous Eric always is. He'll always take a minute or two for someone and will almost always encourage the people, especially children/teens to pursue archery! I sure got lucky when I married that man--I love you, Eric!
After lunch, Eric went back to the athlete area where I'm not allowed to go and so while I was hanging out I was treated to a Scottish band playing all sorts of fun tunes. I personally just like the kilts!
After a bit we watched his teammate Matt Stutzman (the inspirational archer) compete against another USA teammate Dugie Denton in a nail biter of a match. I didn't even think to take a picture of that match. I was to busy having sympathy for Matt's poor wife. I swear it's harder on us in the stands than it is for them to shoot the arrows! Matt was victorious so he also advanced to the medal match brackets tomorrow in the Open Compound division.
After a long day of emotions, archery and crowds Eric and I split off to our separate ways. Because of the different routes I had to take today, one of my interchanges happened to be at Stratford which is where the really big mall was I ate/catnapped in while I waited for Opening Ceremonies. So I decided to get off there and do a little shopping. That mall is HUGE! It has 3 levels and the corridors go on forever. I just kept thinking how my sister in law Kellie would have a hay day there! I enjoyed another of the yummy pretzels, but this time I got a toffee one. Didn't really know what it was going to be like, but it ended up being pretty good. They drizzled this toffee flavored frosting-type mixture on it and it was yummy. I think the next time I go there (and there probably will be a next time) I'll go back to just salt, but I'm glad I tried something different.
My feet were finally telling me it was time to head back and after 12 hours of fun, I finally collapsed on the bed and am getting this blog post done!
So excited for tomorrow. Here's the schedule but basically Eric will shoot at 10:15am to determine if he'll shoot for the gold/silver or go to the bronze bracket. Then the medal matches will be held at 11:00am. For those in Arizona that's 2:15am and then 3am, and I found out today people are really up at those insane hours to watch! :) We really appreciate your support! His teammates Jeff and Matt also shoot tomorrow, so it will be an exciting, full day at the archery range. I will try and get on after Eric wins again to let you know, but I never know if I'm going to find someone who'll share their wifi with me. Today I walked up to some athletes/coaches from Great Britain (knowing they'd have local coverage at least) and asked if someone would share their phone with me. Lucky for me (and you!) they are always so generous!
Everyone wear their Team Eric shirts to bed tonight! Eric and I will be wearing ours! We are going for the gold!!!

3 comments:
I am so grateful for technology and the time you take to update us on Eric's progress. I've been thinking about you guys a lot and can't wait for Eric to win the Gold!
Thanks for the updates and stories of your 'adventures'. I will definitely wear my shirt tonight! I'm sending all kinds of positive thoughts and energy his way!
I am so happy that Eric made it that far!!! I couldn't be prouder; 4th in the WORLD. Pret.ty.darn.good. Love you both so much! Wish we could be closer to welcome you home in Honor... SO PROUD & HAPPY for you!!!!
Post a Comment